Fitness is an important part of our lives and even when travelling we try our best to stay on top of that routine. It can be hard to keep up with it given that there are so many exciting places to see and things to do.
We all tend to lose track of our fitness/health regiment when travelling. These are some of the tips we follow while travelling to keep to our goals.
1. Pack healthy snacks: Bring along healthy snacks such as nuts, fruits, and protein bars to avoid relying on fast food or vending machines for meals. We try our best to eat the local food when travelling and staying away from any fast food chains. Although there may be one or two days where it is the best option.
2. Use hotel amenities: Many hotels have fitness centers or pools that you can use to get in a workout. This is our go to as we tend to stay in hostels and hotels with some fitness equipment.
3. Go for a walk or run: Exploring a new city on foot is a great way to get exercise and see the sights. On days where we know that it will be a hike or exhaustive walking day, we don't look to head to the gym as the cardio fits into our goals.
4. Use bodyweight exercises: You can do bodyweight exercises such as push-ups, squats, and lunges in your hotel room or outdoors to get a quick workout. In the morning or evening, if you feel that you may be missing out on some activity during the day, you can end or start with doing 3 sets of 20 reps of push-ups and any other exercise that you can perform. The best place do this is normally at the beach during sunrise/sunset.
5. Choose active travel options: consider taking the hike option rather than paying for the bus or ride to the end location. We chose this option for walking to our hostel on Koh Lanta Island and also for several hikes in Peru. You may find this rewarding as well.
6. Don't skip meals: It can be tempting to skip meals when you're on the go, but it's important to fuel your body with healthy foods to keep your energy levels up. Depending on what eating habits you may have you can follow an intermittent fasting or stick to your standard meals 3 to 5 a day to keep your energy up especially for those long hikes.
7. Stay hydrated: It's easy to get dehydrated while traveling, especially if you're in a hot or humid climate. Make sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and energized.
8. Don't beat yourself up: It's okay if you miss a workout or indulge in a treat while you're on vacation. The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy your travels. Speaking from experience a lot of the routine gets thrown out while travelling, the important part is to not worry about it as a lifestyle habit you can get back on the routine.